Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'd rather watch a winner, than hear one any day

This poem was read to a group in New Braunfels by
former Judson HS coach D.W. Rutledge:

I'd rather watch a winner, than hear one any day,
I'd rather have one walk with me than merely show the way.

The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear:
fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.

And the best of all the coaches are the ones who live their creeds:
for to see the good in action is what everybody needs.

I can soon learn how to do it if you'll let me see it done:
I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run.

And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true:
but I'd rather get my lessons by observing what you do.

For I may misunderstand you and the high advice you give:
but there's no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.

I'd rather watch a winner, than hear one any day!

No comments: