Tuesday, December 2, 2008

School Ties

Today I called my wife between classes to "Vent" about a situation I had with a student and them not following the rules of our campus. About 30 minutes later she sends me a message that I should read her blog. So I did and this was what I read:


I'm wondering if you have walked
inside a school today,
to see the rules they follow,
and the games the students play?
They know the tricks and secrets
to make things go their way,
and this is exactly what I saw
when I went to school today.

I saw a teacher yelling,
telling students to go to class.
I saw a student roll their eyes
and tell her to kiss their ass.
I saw the teacher make a face
as if they want to say,
"Do you know what I go through
when I go to school each day?"

I walked into the office
and saw students by the bunch,
some were tardy, some were sick,
some were waiting for mom to bring them lunch.
But, all of them were laughing
and playing by the way,
because this is how they spend their time
at school every day.

I went into a classroom
and saw a teacher head in hand,
it seemed no student cared about history
except the history of their favorite band.
I even saw some listening to music,
iPods neatly tucked away
because this is what they do in class
and at school every day.

I heard a noise out in the hall
and ran to take a look
I thought some kids were fighting
or that someone dropped a book
I saw a teacher take a bag, a no no by the way
but it seems that Johnny carries one
at school each and every day.

I followed little Johnny
to his locker for a peek
I wanted to see if Johnny would be strong
or fall to peer pressure and be weak
He did not put away his books, he gave them to a friend
and said, that teacher doesn't know what he just did
that teacher will meet his end.
For Johnny's mom is the head of the PTA and dad a CEO
and how much Johnny has gotten away with, the world may never know
but Johnny took out his cell phone, called mom and gave a grin
said, "Mom, a coach just took my bag, I can't have it taken away again."
I don't know what Mommy said, but Johnny smiled and smirked
"Thanks, Mom, you're the best. This school is run by jerks."

I walked back to the office and saw Johnny's mother running in
She said "I need the principal. That same teacher is after my boy again."
They closed the door behind him, a smile on the principal's face
and I knew that in that moment, that teacher had run his final race.
Little Johnny had his bag, by eleven o'clock that day
but that's just what happens when Mommy comes to school
to help you break the rules each day.

I don't know what will happen
to our country or our world
but I know that it depends on the education
of each little boy and girl
and this is being challenged
by the parents and TV so I say
walk into your childs school and see what you can see today.

By: Lori Gonzales

No comments: